CELTA courses at IH Bogotá
About the CELTA course
The CELTA course is the original "TEFL" course and provides initial training leading to a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA). It is intended for those without previous experience who wish to enter the profession and for teachers with no previous training in this field.
Success in the Certificate has enabled many candidates to obtain their first teaching position: the course is highly regarded by employers as providing sound initial training and a strong basis from which to develop as a teacher of English.
The CELTA course covers the following syllabus:
- Language Analysis and Awareness
- The Learner, the Teacher and the Teaching/Learning Context
- Planning for Effective Teaching
- Classroom Management Skills
- Teaching Procedures and Techniques
- Resources and Materials
- Professional Development
- Classroom Observation
- Teaching Practice
Teaching practice is an integral part of the course. This is organised in small groups of 5-6 trainees with volunteer students at two or three different levels. After each teaching practice session an evaluation of the session is led by a course tutor.
Trainees are expected to liase within their groups outside course hours in order to plan teaching practice classes, according to guidelines provided by course tutors.
Our courses are full-time over four weeks and have a minimum of 120 contact hours, plus a further 120 hours plus for required outside of class time tasks, including assignments and lesson planning.
Sessions are held Monday to Friday between 10.00 and 18.00 including teaching practice.
A typical day on the course is as follows, although there are sometimes variations:
- 10.00—12.00 Teaching Practice
- 12.00—12.30 Break
- 12.30—13.15 Teaching Practice Feedback
- 13.15—14.15 Lunch break
- 14.15—15.30 Input Session 1
- 15.30—15.45 Break
- 15.45—17.00 Input Session 2
- 17.00—17.15 Break
- 17.15—18.00 Assisted Lesson Planning
Our CELTA courses in Medellin (see dates, below) run from 08.00 to 16.00.
Course venue is Bogotá, unless otherwise stated below.
- January 10—February 3
- February 27—March 24
- April 17—May 12
- June 12—July 12 (Medellin)
- July 31—August 29
- September 18—October 13
- November 7—December 5
- November 14—December 9 (Medellin)
Note that there are national holidays in Colombia on October 17; November 7, 14; December 8.
In 2017, there are holidays on January 9; May ; June 19 and 26; July 3; August 7 and 21; November 6 and 13; December 8.
There will be no classes on these days
See also further details of our Medellin courses.
Assessment and certificates
Trainees are continuously assessed in all the syllabus areas, including written assignments, and with particular emphasis on their teaching ability and potential.
At the end of the course successful candidates receive the Cambridge Certificate and a Progress Report.
- be at least 18 years old at the start of the course
- have a standard of education which would allow entrance to higher education in their country
- have an awareness of language, and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to follow the course
- have the potential to develop into effective teachers.
- Bogotá: US$ 1,795
- Medellin: US$ 1,995
The price includes the University of Cambridge certificate fee.
Candidates on the Medellin course will need to pay their own photocopy costs.
Please note you should not pay anything until you have submitted your application and been interviewed.
When you do require them, these are the details of how to pay for your course.
Click here for an application form for the CELTA course.
For further information, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.